Insurance description

Why choose temporary motorhome insurance?

Motorhomes are an amazing way to get away from home for a change of scenery, and renting one is a great way to save money. Before you rent a motorhome, you must consider temporary motorhome insurance, so you can travel safely and be on the right side of the law.

Another reason you might consider temporary cover is if you don’t use your motorhome all year round. If you are taking just a handful of trips every year, it could work out cheaper to take out temporary rather than year-round insurance.

If you are renting a motorhome from a rental company, usually they will arrange the insurance for you. But, if you are borrowing a motorhome from a family member or a friend, you will likely need to arrange insurance yourself.

What is temporary motorhome insurance?

Temporary motorhome insurance is an insurance policy that only lasts for a particular amount of time. You can choose how long you need the cover for, whether this is 1 day or 30 days. With temporary cover, you will pay a fixed amount each day or per hour, depending on the insurer.

By purchasing temporary motorhome insurance, you are protecting yourself as well as the owner of the motorhome (if you’re borrowing it from someone else).

What does temporary motorhome insurance cover?

Generally, temporary motorhome insurance is always comprehensive cover. Some providers do offer third party, fire and theft policies, but you will have to request this. Comprehensive is the most extensive level of coverage, so you will be covered for most problems and accidents, even if the motorhome is stationary.

Here are a few examples of what comprehensive short term motorhome insurance covers you for:

  1. Breakdowns
  2. Accidental damage
  3. Misfuelling
  4. Theft
  5. Personal belongings cover
  6. Legal costs


Flexibility - Short term motorhome insurance is an absolute must when you are travelling. Once you have paid for the insurance, signed the contract and the duration of the insurance begins, you are covered. So, even if an accident occurs just a few minutes into your journey, you will be able to make a claim. Also, you can extend the policy if needed during your trip.

No Claims bonus protection - Additionally, as this type of insurance is temporary, it does not affect other insurance policies you have such as car insurance for example. A great element of temporary motorhome insurance is that if you have to claim due to an accident, it will not affect your ‘No Claims Discount’ on other vehicles.

Breakdown cover - Every driver’s worst nightmare is to break down, especially if you are travelling through Europe as there might be a language barrier. Luckily, many insurance providers will give you European breakdown cover with the policy.

Insurance description

See how much you can save

Compare quotes from over 40 insurers


Insurance description

There are some eligibility clauses for temporary motorhome insurance. Whilst some clauses may slightly vary from company to company, generally, providers will require you to meet the following criteria:

  • Aged between 25 and 75
  • Hold a full driving licence (UK, EU or international) for at least 1 year
  • Involved in less than 3 accidents in the last 3 years
  • Less than 2 fault claims in the last 3 years
  • Less than 2 theft claims in the last 3 years
  • The vehicle you are insuring is less than 10 years old
  • The vehicle you are insuring is worth less than £100,000
  • The journey will start and end in the UK
  • You are hiring the vehicle for less than 30 days
  • Less than 3 named drivers


What information do I need to provide for a short term motorhome insurance quote?

You will need to fill in a short questionnaire about yourself and your vehicle so that we can work out how much a quote will be from an insurance provider. This information includes:

  • Your full name
  • Date of birth
  • Occupation
  • Address
  • Type of vehicle
  • UK registration number
What licence do I need to drive a motorhome?

Motorhomes are large vehicles that come in a range of sizes. Before you drive one, it is important to ensure that your driving licence covers the category.

You will be able to tell by looking at the vehicle’s maximum authorised mass (MAM). The MAM is the weight of the vehicle added to the maximum load it can carry. You can then look at licence guidelines. For example, if the MAM is 7.5+ tons, you will need a category C licence.

If you passed your test after 1 January 1997, you will be covered for the B and B1 category vehicles. B and B1 allow you to drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes.

What is the difference between a motorhome and a campervan?

Motorhomes are larger than campervans. Often they will have full-sized appliances fitted in like a washing machine, fridge and oven. Inside a motorhome, the driving and living areas will be separate. Campervans are smaller than motorhomes. They will have a connected driving and living area with smaller and less advanced appliances.

What usually affects the cost of temporary motorhome insurance?

Here are a few tips that might help to reduce the cost of your temporary motorhome insurance:

  • Only get cover for the time that you need, whether this is for an hour or 30 days.
  • The named driver should have a clean driving record
  • Do not wait until the last minute to buy insurance. You may get a lower price if you take the policy out 20+ days in advance.
  • Increase excess amount
  • Accurately report mileage expectations